The holidays are here! While it’s a time for giving, I think it’s also always important to gift yourself as well. I mean, everyone deserves something for surviving the mayhem of the holidays. (Especially if you’re an introvert like me.)
So thinking about what I’d like this holiday, I’ve decided at the top of my wishlist is the new Kindle Oasis from Amazon. The ultra high luxury e-reader.
When the Kindle Oasis first came out, back when I was still in college, I didn’t feel that the price was worth it. (I was also a very poor graduate student and bought my Paperwhite about a year earlier.) While I still think the Kindle Oasis is quite expensive, I’m willing to dish out the money this time around. I think it has enough features to make it worth my while.
1. The Kindle Oasis is waterproof. This to me was the game changer. It was also why I bought my Nook Glowlight a little over a year ago. It’s waterproof! The new Kindle Oasis has an IPX8 rating, meaning it should be protected against being in 2 meters of fresh water for up to 60 minutes. I have no plans on immersing my Kindle in water anytime soon, but I do live in Hawaii. That means it’s pretty much beach season year round. So it’d be nice to be able to take my Kindle to the beach or the pool without having to worry about it getting damaged if it’s splashed by kids running around.
2. The Kindle Oasis has a 7 inch screen. I’m excited to have a slightly bigger screen. I doubt it’ll make a huge difference, but it does mean a few less page turns.
3. OMG, Page turn buttons!!! The page turn buttons was the only thing that tempted me into buying the first Kindle Oasis and is still one of the main reasons I want it now. I miss my page turn buttons from my old Nook Simple Touch. While having to touch the screen to turn the page isn’t that tiring of a task, it just wasn’t as convenient as using page turn buttons. (This is particularly true if you’re trying to go back a page.)
4. The Kindle Oasis has a larger storage capacity. The 4 GB that my current Kindle Paperwhite has isn’t bad. I don’t think I’ve filled it, but I like the idea of having 8 GB. (Or maybe 32 GB because why not.) This is especially true if I want to have an audiobook or two on my Kindle. That leads into the final reason I want the Kindle Oasis…
5. The Kindle Oasis will have Audible. I’m not currently subscribed to Audible, but I’ve been slowly venturing into the world of audiobooks. I know you can’t listen while you read on your Kindle, but I’d mainly want it as an alternative way to listen to audiobooks at work. I quite dislike having to use my phone to listen to music or audio books. I don’t always get the chance to charge it mid-day. So being able to use my Kindle instead would be awesome.
What do you think about the Kindle Oasis? Or what do you think of e-readers in general? Also, are you gifting yourself anythign this holiday season? I’d love to hear your thoughts!